The Taste of Blue Ridge Root to Table Culinary Series is a voice for chefs, farmers and local foodies who support sustainable food sourcing. They will occur in the northern Shenandoah Valley and the West Virginia panhandle. Tickets to these events are available here. Great prices on multiple ticket purchases until June 1st.
Watch a Video on the Root to Table Culinary Series.
The next 3 events in the series welcome two returning chefs and a new partner chef. Here is what’s coming up:
May 2, 2019: Our European Roots to our Appalachian Table
Location: Bavarian Inn Resort and Brewing, Shepardstown, WV
This dinner is about a “sense of place” that compares and contrasts the roots of the Bavarian Inn’s inn in Europe with its location in the northern Shenandoah Valley. The similarities in seasonal ingredients, as well as cooking styles, are showcased in the newly-updated dining rooms.
– Featuring Bavarian Inn and Resort Executive Chef Jeff Ault and hand-picked Guest Chef Justin Cherry, owner of Half Crown Bakehouse.
“I’m looking forward because of the Root to Table mission, the theme of Jeff’s dinner, and being able to bring in a historical aspect to this dinner. I look forward to tying in the historical aspect of the Appalachian Wagon Train and how it ran from Pennsylvania through North Carolina and Georgia. I hope to get people to really taste the food and show people my mission to provide the significance of historical foodways.” — Chef Cherry
May 31, 2019: An Italian Farm Dinner
Location: Lansdowne Resort and Spa, Leesburg, VA
Join the Taste of Blue Ridge for an Italian-inspired al fresco farm dinner where chefs will combine healthy local ingredients, wine, music and good vibes to kick off the summer season.
– Featuring Lansdowne Resort and Spa Executive Chef and Director of Culinary Marcus Repp and hand-picked Guest Chef Daniela Williams, owner of Cucinamore.
“I cannot wait to be a part of this Taste of Blue Ridge Root to Table Culinary event! Working side by side with those fantastic professionals will be a pleasure and an incredible honor for me! I will bring my Italian perspective to the table and I hope that everyone attending will enjoy. It’s going to be fun!” –Chef Williams
June 23, 2019: Summer Solstice and Virginia Seafood
Location: Walsh Family Wine at Northgate, Purcellville, VA
This dinner centers around the wonderful seafood that is raised, harvested and consumed in Virginia. Held at a top Loudoun County winery.
– Featuring Magnolias at the Mill Executive Chef Erik Foxx-Nettnin and hand-picked Guest Chef Britt Shyrene, owner of Chef Britt Shyrene Culinary.
“I believe in this mission so much. Such amazing work to get involved in! Proud to be in a community where I am surrounded by such wonderful ingredients, and near people who care, love food, and showcase its true beauty. What an opportunity to learn and get involved in the community, while sharing knowledge and experience around a table. This is food itself as a community. Food brings us all together, it’s an opportunity to experience something beautiful. Looking forward to seeing how far we can take it, and so excited to be a part of this! Very grateful to Chef Erik for including me as his guest chef on this project!” — Chef Shyrene
The host locations will also feature these Taste of Blue Ridge Top Chefs:
- Steve Ferrell, Executive Chef, Hillbrook Inn & Spa
- Abby McAllister, Chef and Farm to Table Specialist, Schenck Foods
- Michael Ritenour, Executive Chef, Massanutten Resort
- Sandy Gallagher, Chef in Residence, Audley Farm
- Mavin Swaner, Executive Chef, The George Washington Hotel/George’s Food & Spirits
Future Culinary Events
Other culinary events are held throughout 2019, including these. Visit the Root to Table Culinary Series to find out more and to purchase tickets.
- July 18, State of the Plate, an educational forum with farms and chef, Schenck Foods, Inc.
- August 23, 3rd Annual Open-Air Feast, the oldest event in the series, Hillbrook Inn and Spa
- September 13, 1st Progressive Root to Table Dinner with Audley Farm, The George Washington Hotel
- October 4, Glamping Dinner Under the Stars, Lansdowne Resort and Spa
- October 27, Down on the Farm Festival and Pig Roast, Spring House Farm
- November 30, Fire & Ice Festival and Gala, Magnolias on the Mill/West Oaks Farm Market
Taste of Blue Ridge
Taste of Blue Ridge was founded by Nancy Craun, and offers the only website centered around chefs living the lifestyle the Blue Ridge offers. From just five chefs in its first year, now more than ten have been awarded the Taste of Blue Ridge Brand of Excellence that recognizes culinary excellence in our northern boundaries of Virginia and West Virginia.
“Food in the Blue Ridge carries a sense of tradition that’s present in every dish. Here we like to call it “Root to Table”. Our foodie community lives and breathes their commitment to our roots in order to bring the best quality food to our friends and visitors.” –Nancy Craun, Owner and Founder of Taste of Blue Ridge.